Visual novel Of the Red, the Light, and the Ayakashi Tsuzuri will launch for Switch and PC via Steam on February 29, 2024, publisher dramatic create and developer HaccaWorks* announced. It will support English, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese language options.
Here is an overview of the game, via its official website:
What is Of the Red, the Light, and the Ayakashi.
A PC game released in 2011, the second released by the dojin group HaccaWorks*. It has been adapted into a comic book (10 volumes total), a novel, drama CD, as well as other media. In 2014 it was re-released on the PSP gaming system with a major revision of the main scenario, and with full voices, a prequel, and a new ending.
This new version of the game has all the content of the PSP version, but is now even easier to play, available on the Nintendo Switch and on Steam!
- Digital illustration collection.
- Updated game specifications and user interface.
- Multiple languages support (Japanese, English, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese).
Yue is a young boy, born in a mountain shrine in the town of Utsuwa.
One day, he attends the winter festival together with his childhood friend, a black fox named Kurogitsune.
The lanterns burn bright red, and the people are buzzing. As Yue sees the outside world for the first time in his life, he meets two mysterious boys.
Upon returning to the mountain, the owner of the shrine, Mikoto, told him.
- Main Character
- Yue (voiced by Shinosuke Tachibana) – Likes to take things at his own pace. He enjoys being lazy, but also has a curious side to him. He descends from the mountain for the first time on the day of the winter festival…
- Branch Characters
- Kurogitsune (voiced by Kei Shindo) – A black fox that has been together with Yue since he was a child. He is a good friend, and a self-proclaimed big brother to Yue. Strong-willed and straightforward, he is an open book to those around him.
- Togo Tsubaki (voiced by Daichu Muzishima) – A second-year student at Utsuwa High School. He lives together with his father and little sister. He has a rather mature personality for his age, and is a caring eldest son. Both he and Yue seem to remember something about each other…
- Akiyoshi Tochika (voiced by Takahiro Sakurai) – A second-year student at Utsuwa High School, he is the son of the heir of a large land-owning family. Due to his severe allergies he is always carrying a box of tissues under his arm. He has a straightforward personality, for better or for worse. After having met Yue at the festival, he is trying to uncover his true identity.
- Sagano (voiced by Kosuke Toriumi) – A mysterious man who appears at twilight. Even though he’s always smiling, there’s something not quite right about him. He acts as if he knows Yue.
- Sub Characters
- Mr. Sato (voiced by Kenyu Horiuchi) – A Shinto priest at Utsuwa Shrine, and Mikoto’s right-hand man. To Yue he is a mentor and a father figure. He enjoys cleaning.
- Mikoto (voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro) – She may look like a little girl, but she is actually the master of the mountain that rules over Utsuwa. She dotes on Yue as if he were her younger brother. She has a calm and natural disposition.
- Other Characters
- Momiji (voiced by Akiki Yajima) – A doll-like specter that suddenly appears in town. He is always hungry, as eating is his pastime. Although he has a wealth of experience in meals and is a glutton who will eat anything, he eats in accordance with his own aesthetics, and is picky about his tastes. His dream is to make 100 friends.
- Tomori (voiced by Junichi Suwabe) – A specter that serves Mikoto. Keeper of the mountain lights, he watches over them all night. In his free time he can be seen having a pleasant conversation with Yue and Kurogitsune. He is kind despite his frightening appearance. Kurogitsune in particular has taken a liking to him.
- Saku (voiced by Yui Horie) – A schoolgirl-like specter. She does not get along well with the other specters of the shrine, instead patrolling the town together with Nagi. She has a cheerful and innocent personality, but as she hates to lose, she also has a belligerent side that loves to take on strong opponents. She is a little interested in Yue, as he looks like an opponent that she lost to once in the past.
- Nagi (voiced by Saki Nakajima) – A schoolgirl-like specter. She does not get along well with the other specters of the shrine, instead patrolling the town together with Saki. Perhaps due to her calm and collected personality she often acts as the pacifist in contrast to Saki. She is well known for her long braids, which she sometimes braids herself, and sometimes Saki does it for her.
- Ranchu (voiced by Kenichi Suzumura) – A specter that serves Mikoto. He is the caretaker for the residents at Utsuwa Shrine. Perhaps due to feeling comfortable around him due to their similar ages, and a bit of envy towards his positive attitude, he often treats Kurogitsune in a cold manner. However, despite his negative words, his actions are quite kind.
- Mr. Abe+ (voiced by Akira Ishida) – A specter that serves Mikoto. They work at the talisman counter, where they make charms and fortunes. They’re always trying to get Yue to pull a fortune for some reason or another. Despite a suspicious-looking pair of hands emerging from his jacket, they insist that there’s no one else hiding inside.
- Kagetsu (voiced by Takuya Eguchi) – A specter that serves Mikoto. He is a direct subordinate of Sato, and works together with Mashiro. He’s been together with Mashiro since birth, as the two are inseparable. He’s responsible for the “cleaning” of Utsuwa City, both literally and in another sense of the word. He has a rather blunt and condescending attitude.
- Mashiro (voiced by Yuki Ono) – A specter that serves Mikoto. He is a direct subordinate of Sato, and works together with Kagetsu. He’s been together with Kagetsu since birth, as the two are inseparable. He’s responsible for the “cleaning” of Utsuwa City, both literally and in another sense of the word. He appears to be friendly and cheerful at first, but has an unexpected dry side to him.
- Hina Tsubaki (voiced by Yukana) – Togo’s younger sister. She really loves her brother and is attached to him. She is a bright and innocent kindergartner, but sometimes she speaks and acts in a mature manner beyond her years. According to her brother, there is something called the “Hina Language.”
- Goldfish+ (Suisen voiced by Marie Miyake, Gyokuro voiced by Juri Nagatsuma, and Kimun voiced by Natsumi Takamori) – Three goldfish specters that are always together. They get along well with Sato, and can also take human form. The Red Goldfish Suisen is the most energetic. The Black Goldfish Gyokuro is the calmest. The Yellow Goldfish Kimun is the most spoiled.
- Sora Suzuki (voiced by Ryota Osaka) – A classmate of Togo and Akiyoshi. He enjoys taking notes in classes. He looks up to the cool Togo, and is obsessed with lending his notebooks to him.
- Young Man A (voiced by Tatsuhisa Suzuki) – A boy that Yue meets in town. He seems to be connected to the disappearances happening in the town.
- Yaichi Tsubaki (voiced by Toshiyuki Morikawa) – Togo’s father. He is an unsuccessful novelist that is working part-time. He is a caring father, but his sons don’t take him seriously. The family gets along well.
- Akitoshi Tochika (voiced by Satoshi Tsuruoka) – Akiyoshi’s father. A major landowner who has supported Utsuwa City for a long time. He is the current head of the Tochika family.