The Echo of Duriel is the most difficult of the new endgame bosses you can summon and fight in Diablo 4 Season 2.
Duriel, The King of Maggots, poses quite a challenge in the Season of Blood, but gives you some incredible rewards for taking him down.
Defeating him is the only reliable way you can target farm Uber Uniques – Diablo 4’s rarest and most powerful items.
Below, we go over what you need to do to summon Duriel and how to defeat him to farm for Uniques and Uber Uniques in Diablo 4 Season 2.
How to Get Shards of Agony & Mucus-Slick Eggs to Summon Duriel in Diablo 4
To summon the Echo of Duriel, you need to first acquire 2 Shards of Agony and 2 Mucus-Slick Eggs so that they can be deposited in the summoning altar in the Gaping Cravasse dungeon. You can only do this in World Tier 4.
These items are obtained by defeating the Echo of Varshan and Grigoire endgame bosses in World Tier 4:
- Defeat the Echo of Varshan to get 1 Shard of Agony on each successful attempt
- Defeat the Grigoire to get 1 Mucus-Slick Egg on each successful attempt
You need to summon the Echo of Varshan and Grigoire at least twice to be able to get the required materials to summon Duriel.
How to Get Mucus-Slick Eggs from the Echo of Varshan in Diablo 4
To get Mucus-Slick Eggs in Diablo 4, you need to summon and defeat the Echo of Varshan endgame boss. You can only do this in World Tier 4 to receive 1 Mucus-Slick Egg as a drop.
To summon the Echo of Varshan, you will need do to the following:
- Gather four of Varshan’s body parts
- You will need:
- 1 Blackened Femur
- 1 Trembling Hand
- 1 Gurgling Head
- 1 Malignant Heart (World Tier 4 only)
- You can gather body parts from the Grotesque Debtor from Whispers of the Dead quests – Varshan’s body parts will drop randomly
- You can also obtain Varshan’s body parts by opening Tree of Whispers cache rewards – this guarantees a drop of one or more of Varshan’s body parts
- You will need:
- Once you’ve acquired the body parts, interact with the Malignant Altar in the Malignant Burrow dungeon to summon Varshan in World Tier 4
After defeating the Echo of Varshan in World Tier 4, you will receive 1 Mucus-Slick Egg.
How to Get Shard of Agony from Grigoire in Diablo 4
To get Shards of Agony in Diablo 4, you need to summon and defeat the Grigoire endgame boss. You can only do this in World Tier 4 to receive 1 Shard of Agony as a drop.
To summon the Grigoire, you will need do to the following:
- Gather Living Steel by taking part in Helltides
- You will need 5 Living Steel to summon Grigoire in the Hall of the Penitent dungeon in World Tier 4
Be sure to check out our extensive guide on where to find Living Steel and how to summon Grigoire in Diablo 4 for more info.
After defeating Grigoire in World Tier 4, you will receive 1 Shard of Agony.
How to Summon Duriel in Diablo 4 Season 2
To summon Duriel in Diablo 4, you need to deposit 2 Shards of Agony and 2 Mucus-Slick Eggs into the Pestilent Altar in the Gaping Cravasse dungeon. You can only summon Duriel in World Tier 4.
You can find the Gaping Crevasse dungeon in the Southern Expanse area of the Kehjistan region:
Once inside, head to the Pestilent Altar to deposit the above materials:
You need to defeat the Echo of Varshan and Grigoire endgame bosses at least twice to get the required materials to summon Duriel.
It’s important to note that, if playing in a party, only the person who summons these endgame bosses will receive these materials after they are defeated.
How to Defeat Duriel in Diablo 4 Season 2
As a level 100 endgame boss, you need to make sure you are a high enough level and that you have an optimized endgame build to be able to take Duriel on and defeat him.
We also recommend slotting Emeralds onto your jewelry and making use of Poison Resistance Elixirs for more protection against Duriel’s poison damage.
Duriel boss fight tips and tricks:
- Avoid the holes in the ground
- Additional enemies will spawn from these holes – it’s a good idea to keep your distance
- Focus on killing additional enemies as much as you can
- They will inflict poison damage which can drain your health very quickly
- Build up as much Poison Resistance through using Elixirs and equipping Emeralds on your jewelry
- In addition to poison projectiles fired by adds, Duriel will also create poison pools that will inflict poison damage over time if not avoided
- Try and get behind Duriel as much as you can
- He has charge and claw attacks that can deal devastating damage to you. Keeping behind Duriel and maintaining your distance should mitigate any damage taken
Duriel Boss Loot Table: All Possible Unique & Uber Unique Rewards
The Echo of Duriel is the only endgame boss that has a chance of dropping Uber Unique items (in addition to Unique items) in Diablo 4. Therefore, summoning and defeating Duriel is the best way to target farm for Uber Unique items in Diablo 4.
Here’s the loot table containing all possible Unique and Uber Unique drops for Duriel in Diablo 4:
|Class||Unique Items||Uber Unique Items|
Tuskhelm of Joritz the Mighty
|Ahavarion, Spear of Lycander|
Blood Moon Breeches
|Rogue||Cowl of the Nameless
|Ahavarion, Spear of Lycander|
|All Classes||Godslayer Crown
X’Fal’s Corroded Signet
Banished Lord’s Talisman
|Melted Heart of Selig
Ring of Starless Skies
|Cosmetics||Smoldering Brimstone Mount||Smoldering Brimstone Mount|
Be sure to check out how to summon each new endgame boss in Season 2 in order to streamline the grind for Unique loot and gear in Diablo 4!